Monday, July 27, 2009

Giving Them Back

As loving and caring parents, I think our biggest mistake can be made by holding on too tightly to our children. We love them. We want to care for them. We want to protect them. But, I know for me, holding on tightly often leads to not trusting God to take care of them. I worry about so many things that I find myself micromanaging, over planning or trying to solve problems with my own ingenuity. I have found that when I do this, all it brings me is fear (that my plans for my kids will fail) and guilt (when they do).
However, the Lord tells us clearly to let go of these things. He says, "Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you." 1 Peter 5:7 NLT. It is clear that we cannot be everywhere. We cannot fix everything. We cannot prevent our kids from being exposed to the curses and sins of Adam and Eve. So God says, "Trust me. I love them. I want to be their Father." No matter what our kids are going through or what stage in life they are, releasing them into the hands of God is the first step in making a difference. Stormie Omartian, in Power of a Praying Parent, says, "We don't want to limit what God can do in our children by clutching them to ourselves and trying to parent them alone." The first step is realeasing them. Giving them up. Handing them back. And trusting God, who loves our babies more than we could ever imagine.

Lord,
I want to release my children to you. You made them. You love them. You are waiting for us to trust you. You can take care of them better than I ever could, and I cannot do my job well without you. I trust you with my children. Teach me how to pray for them, how to teach them and how to care for them. Hold them in your hands and watch over their every step. Release my heart from the fear and worry that Satan tries to bind me with, and give me peace.

Thank you, Father, that you walk this journey with us. Thank you that I do not have to do this alone. Thank you that my children are your children, and you want to raise, lead, guide and teach them. And thank you that I can trust you for eveything, and I do not need to rely on the wisdom and methods of the world. Let the wisdom of your word and the whispers of your Spirit lead me. Show me what I worry about, things I try to control and places I have yet to surrender - and help me to lay them in your hands. I trust you with my children and surrener them to you.

Scripture To Cling To:

I look up to the mountains—does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! He will not let you stumble; the one who watches over you will not slumber. Indeed, he who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps. The Lord himself watches over you! The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade. The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon at night. The Lord keeps you from all harm and watches over your life. The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever.
Psalm 121

I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.
John 16:23

I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the Lord. For his whole life he will be given over to the Lord.
1 Samuel 1:27,28

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. Thanks for starting this Heidi! I'm really looking forward to being in prayer over our kids with others. I'm glad I can start even while ours is still being knit together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heidi. This is soooo difficult for me right now, I feel I am in a dark spot with God. I am trying hard to see the truth of his good provisions as I still mourn. Thank so much for the scripture along with the heartfelt prayer.

    ReplyDelete